Overseeding of an existing lawn is a recognised essential part of annual lawn maintenance. All lawns are affected by the specific growing environment in which they exist, their level of use and general weather conditions. As a result, understanding the basic principles of overseeding and choice of seed mix will enable you to work with nature toward a greener and healthier lawn.
Overseeding your lawn will:
- Help in-fill damaged or thinned areas.
- Improve the lawn colour.
- Reduce weed and moss invasion.
Rolawn Lawn Seed
Medallion® Premium Lawn Seed is the same mix used to grow Rolawn's renowned, award winning Medallion® turf, a blend of some of the most advanced cultivars for excellent appearance and durability. For use on the majority of gardens and perfect for overseeding an existing Medallion lawn. A highly dynamic mix, containing both fine and medium-bladed leaf, with outstanding year round colour, that will establish rapidly.
Minster® Pro Ornamental Lawn Seed is a pure fescue blend which will introduce shade and drought tolerant grasses, which have a fine bladed leaf and rich green colour. This seed mix is the same as that which we used when growing Minster Pro turf.
How to overseed your lawn
- Mow the lawn to approx 25mm.
- Use a spring tine rake to break up and remove the layer of dead matted grass known as thatch. Dependent on the depth of thatch on a lawn this process may require a powered scarifier, which can be hired from most hire shops.
- Using a garden fork, spike the lawn to a depth of approx. 150mm at 300mm intervals.
- If your lawn has not been fed in the last 4 months we recommend feeding the lawn before overseeding. The lawn can usually be overseeded 3 to 4 days after applying a general lawn fertiliser, however you should wait 4 weeks after applying a feed, weed & moss killer.
- Sow the seed evenly across the lawn.
- Medallion Premium Lawn Seed should be applied at a rate of 25g per square metre and Minster Pro Ornamental Lawn Seed at 28g per square metre.
- Rolawn Lawn Seed can be mixed with Rolawn Lawn Topdressing and applied to the lawn jointly.
- The seeded area must be kept moist, therefore, water your lawn after 2 or 3 days of sowing if no rain has fallen.
- Specific bare patches can be sown without treating the whole lawn. Apply the same procedure as above, but use sowing rates as for a new lawn (Medallion Premium Lawn Seed at 35g per square metre, Minster Pro Ornamental Lawn Seed at 38g per square metre).
- To protect specific areas from birds consider covering with netting or garden fleece. This should be removed when new shoots start to come through the soil.
- Try to keep traffic on a freshly overseeded lawn to a minimum for 7 to 21 days
- Raise mowing heights to approximately 50mm for the initial 2 or 3 cuts, then reduce down to 25mm over the next 2 or 3 cuts. Never remove more than a third of the grass blade length at any one time and on new sowings ideally never more than a quarter.
When to overseed a lawn
The ideal times to overseed an existing lawn are spring and autumn, with germination taking 7 to 21 days depending on growth conditions.